Monday, February 6, 2023

Ketamine Therapy for Mental Health Disorders

Hi all,

I just wanted to share a case report I recently had published in Frontiers in Psychiatry, "Medical student types journals during ketamine infusions for suicidal ideation, treatment-resistant depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder."

It details the powerful anti-depressant effects of ketamine in a patient with treatment-resistant depression, suicidality, PTD, and generalized anxiety disorder. Consistent with broader studies and clinical trials, ketamine therapy was effective both short- and long-term.

Unique to this case, the patient also typed real-time journals during four of the ketamine infusions, providing a unique window into what it is like to undergo a ketamine treatment. Here are a few snippets from what the patient typed:

“I feel like I’m dreaming

The stars are so beautiful at night, they cover they sky, I wish I could see them all, just as much as I love everyone. It is so good to be here. so good to be here on earth with everyone. Everyone, I love all of you. I love you all so so so so so much!!!!!

I am experiencing beauty.

In small things

In small details and places

I want everyone to be ok

I want everyone to be ok”


“I feel calm, relaxed, I can breathe

Calm, calm, peace, peace, peaceful

It’s going to be ok 

I’m going to be ok 

I’m going to be ok

I am excited to explore

Beauty, green, a ship, falling, a road, beautiful music, I feel at home, green, a smile, happiness, warmth, it is covering me I feel like a large warm blanket. A big blanket! Safe! I feel so safe. And happy. and calm. Thank you.”

Full transcripts of the journals can be read here.

If you or a loved one is struggling with depression, anxiety, PTSD, or suicidality, I highly encourage you to learn more about ketamine-assisted psychotherapy. If you have any questions, please reach out!

References

Willms, J., McCauley, B., Kerr, L., Presto, P., Arun, A., Shah, N., Irby, K., Strawn, M. and Kopel, J., 2022. Case report: Medical student types journals during ketamine infusions for suicidal ideation, treatment-resistant depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 13.

https://denovotherapy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment