Sunday, June 19, 2011

Apologetics is Bad (Part 5): Apologetics Ball

In this post, we will examine what I consider to be a helpful analogy.

It seems to me like this is the game that Dr. Craig wishes to play: Apologetics Ball.
-----------------------------------------------
Here are the rules:

-It is just like soccer, except that there is a brick wall in front of one of the goals.
-There are two teams: "Dr. Craig and apologists like him" (Team A) and "everyone else" (Team B)
-Team A is allowed to score "goals," and Team B is not allowed to.
-Goals occur when a team makes a successful argument. This causes a person from the other to change what they believe and join the other team.
-Since there is a wall in front of Team A's goal, even if Team B shoots and would have scored, it does not matter.
------------------------------------------------

Craig expects others to do something that he is not willing to do himself. Unfortunately, it is not just Dr. Craig who likes to be on Team A. Almost every Christian pastor (and Mormon, Islamic, Atheist, etc. persons) I have spoken to is eager and willing for me to change, while simultaneously putting up a brick wall over their own goal.

I think that all of us should be willing to change. Instead of attempting to 'win' arguments or converts, we should have an attitude of learning from each other. When two people discuss differences in belief, both should carefully examine what the other has to say, determine what differences they have, figure out who has the better perspective, and then change.

HSFT is not about winning arguments- it is about evolution. When someone points out an error in my thinking, I accept it, change my beliefs, and then become a proponent of the new idea. As more time passes, HSFT will accumulate more and more correct ideas (instead of statically adhering to dogmatic beliefs). I think that real progress could be made in answering life's most important questions if everyone were to have the attitude of HSFT.

2 comments:

  1. Josh,
    I understand the brick wall sensation.

    I am an agnostic because I believe that it is impossible to find concrete evidence for one religion or another. I think that what is most likely is that if there is a god, an afterlife, and all of the other things that come with religion, those things are entirely unlike anything that humans have imagined them to be like. The possibilities are infinite-- what are the chances that humans have it right?

    I applaud your search, but I fear that you will not find solid evidence for anything. I have not put as much work into research as you have, though, so perhaps you are right. The thing that carries me is that in my heart I believe that no matter what God is like, no good or just god would punish people for being born into the wrong belief system, or following the wrong dogma. I believe that whatever God is, if there is a god, he will be more concerned with how I treat other people, and myself, and the world around me than he will be with whether or not I guessed right about him.

    I've been having an interesting series of encounters with a pair of Jehovah's Witnesses. I suppose that they want to convert me. They came by today with literature that they want me to read before next time. I asked them if they would consider reading your blog in exchange. The older woman was willing, but is unable to use a computer. The younger was very uncomfortable with this suggestion and immediately gave a barrage of excuses as to why she couldn't help Evelyn (the older woman) to access it.

    This fear of other people's ideas concerns me greatly. I would tell you about my other concerns about the Jehovah's Witnesses, but I think this comment may already be too long...

    Anyway, keep working at this. It's fascinating to read your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spring,
    Thanks a ton for your comment! It brings me so much joy to hear that you are reading my blog and suggested it to others!

    I have had similar experiences with Mormons (and to a lesser extent with Christians). I listen to them patiently and agree to honestly read the Book of Mormon, but when I start talking or recommending things for them they turtle up.

    Anyways, I fully realize that I may not find solid evidence for anything. In fact, I currently disagree with about 90% of the pro-god arguments out there, and 95% of the anti-god arguments (see future blog posts for explanations). I pretty much love Russell's teapot and I'm learning about the historical argument. But until I have exhausted all of the relevant material, re-checked everything multiple times, and published my thoughts so that others can critique me, I probably won't be satisfied.

    Finally, I would be extremely interested to hear your opinion of my post "God does not love everyone, here is why."

    Thanks again for your input!!!

    ReplyDelete